Well, I decided to figure out how the new highlighting works… Libronix 3 uses XML files that are loaded into a custom engine. Palettes and the locations for where they are used are stored in separate files, marking it simple to copy and share the information with others (in a piecemeal manner if desired.) In Logos 4, all this data is stored in a single file called visualmarkup.db in a hidden directory that is found in a location like C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\yyyh0liv.wfu\VisualMarkup on a Vista/Windows 7 system. Logos is now using SQLite to store all the data in a relational database. This is a real change in design!
Good news, this is a true relational database. Bad news, the imported data (and near as I can tell, new user generated data) is just being stored as TEXT simular to how it was stored in XML. I expected to see data broken up more efficiently, espeically the images which I would have thought would be BLOBs. I also didn’t find a good key to index on in the location table. I would suggest creating a new index base on the books of the Bible (when when the Bible is the resource being indexed) in addition to the existing index based on the resource being indexed. That is probably why there was such a delay when I imported my last few years worth of markups… (About 18700 records.) Not much I could do to speed things up so decided to see how difficult it would be to share palettes.