God gave us the Bible (Both Old and New Testaments) which is The Word of God, (2 Tim. 3:16, Eph. 2:20). The Bible is the only standard to teach us how to glorify and enjoy him. (1 John 1:3–4).
Notes: I didn’t change much on this one. Originally I changed the word “rule” to “standard” but that seemed to confuse my students as well, so I struck the word “standard” from the question but I left it in the answer; in addition to personalizing the question, and it’s answer.
Questions for Follow-up:
- What is the word of God?
- What is the difference between the Old and New Testaments?
- Can we worship God without knowing scripture?
- Suggestion: Read and discuss the story of Nadab and Abihu – who tried to worship God in their own way. Lev. 10:1-3 (EDIT: Cref Exodus 30:9 and the breaking of the clear prohibition.)
- Suggestion: Have each child open to the index in their Bible.
- Discuss the two testaments and the different types of books. Example: History, Information, Wisdom Literature, Prophecy, Gospels, Letters, etc.
- Suggestion: While looking at the index in your Bibles, take time to show the kids how to navigate through the Bible –
- Teach them what is meant by Book Chapter:Verse notation.
- Teach them not to be ashamed to use the index to get around
- Encourage them that they will learn the bible books through using them – though it might be a good project to have them memorize the books in order.