It’s been said you can learn a lot about someone by what they read. Perhaps that’s true. Maybe I’m about to bare my soul on the internet. It wouldn’t be the first time.
I remarked some time ago in one of my seminary classes that I have a horrible time reading just one book. It is normal for me to be reading up to a dozen books at any given time. Can that be true? You do the math, this is what I’m reading at the moment. Some are for fun, some are devotional, some are rigorous personal study, others are for outright learning something new. A Few of them (Meldau) represent books I started, never finished and have recently picked back up.
- Here’s my beyond the Bible active reading list in no particular order.
- Carpenter, Eugene E. and Philip W. Comfort. Holman Treasury of Key Bible Words: 200 Greek and 200 Hebrew Words Defined and Explained. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2000.
- Spurgeon, C. H. Lectures to My Students, Vol. 1: A Selection from Addresses Delivered to the Students of the Pastors’ College, Metropolitan Tabernacle. London: Passmore and Alabaster, 1875.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer: A Christian Worldview. Westchester, IL: Crossway Books, 1982.
- Derickson, Gary W. First, Second, and Third John. Edited by House, H. Wayne, W. Hall Harris, III and Andrew W. Pitts. Evangelical Exegetical Commentary. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2012.
- Henderson, Daniel. Transforming Prayer: How Everything Changes When You Seek God’s Face. Grand Rapids, MI: Bethany House, 2011.
- Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 1997.
- Meldau, Fred John. The Prophets Still Speak : Messiah in Both Testaments. Bellmawr, NJ: Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry, 1988.
- Webber, Robert. Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2004.
- Thielicke, Helmut. The Prayer that Spans the World. Cambridge: James Clarke & Co, 1978
- Peterson, Eugene H. Under the Unpredictable Plant: An Exploration in Vocational Holiness. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. Kindle Edition.
- Grudem, Wayne A. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; Zondervan Pub. House, 2004.
So what are you reading?