In an email this morning the ESV Study Bible has added a new sample to their site. Formerly the introduction to Luke was available this one contains the introduction to Revelation.
It contains 12 major sections
- Author and Title
This information is taken from the ESV Literary Study Bible and I’m very glad to see this included.
- Purpose, Occasion and Background
- History of Salvation Summary
- Timeline (of the writing not an interpretive timeline)
- Key Themes
- Literary Features (again from the ESVLSB)
- Schools of interpretation
- Futurism (both Historical Premillennialism and Dispensational Premillennialism)
- Preterism / Partial Preterism
- Mixed View
- Premillennialism (Classical & Pretribulational)
Overall the introduction is balanced and attempts to represent the divergent interpretive schools without tipping your hand in either direction. The ESVSB goes on to note,